Exploring Ancient World Cultures
Quizzes on the Ancient Near East
The Book of Genesis
1. He interceded on behalf of Sodom and Gomorrah, but his efforts were
to no avail because of the wickedness of the inhabitants living there.
Who was he?
2. This jealous son was the first city-builder. His son was Enoch, after
whom he named his city. Who was he?
3. To save her life, Abraham claimed she was his sister. She later sent
Hagar and her son, Ishmael, into the dessert so that her own son, Isaac,
would not have to share his inheritance. Who was she?
4. An able replacement for their second son, this man was also conceived
by Adam and Eve, though his role in Genesis is often overlooked. His son,
Enosh, was the first to invoke the name of Yahweh. Who was he?
5. This older brother was cheated out of his birthright after his mother
and little brother conspired to trick his father into giving it to the man
soon to be called Israel. Who was he?
6. Finding his father drunk and laying naked in his tent, this son
reported the incident to his brothers who took measures to cover their
father without looking at him. Who was he?
7. The grandfather of Canaan, this was the father of question 6 above.
Who was he?
8. His father's favorite, this son was tossed in a well by his jealous
brothers. Later, he framed Benjamin for steeling his silver cup. Who was he?
9. After a three-day journey, Abraham took his son to the top of this
mountain to sacrifice him at the command of Yahweh. Which mountain was it?
10. Jacob's true love, this younger sister married the same man as her
older sister. She later became the mother of Benjamin and his brother,
who is the answer to number 8 above. Who was she?