Exploring Ancient World Cultures
Quizzes on Medieval Europe
Important Dates in Medieval History
1. The Magna Carta, or Great Charter, was written in ______ by barons
who were seeking to restrain the power of King John of England.
2. Charlemagne, the founder of the great Carolingian Empire, was crowned
emperor on Christmas day in ______.
3. William the Conquerer invaded England in what is known as the
Norman Conquest and fought the Battle of Hastings in ______.
4. "The Condemnation of ______," issued from the University of Paris,
condemned many innovative theological concepts, including several written
by the noted Medieval theologian, Thomas Aquinas.
5. The "Concordat of Worms" put an end to the investiture controversy
6. In ______, Pope Nicholas II decreed that the college of cardinals
would have exclusive rights in electing new popes, thereby freeing the
papacy from secular control.
7. Though ______ is often credited with being the year of the "Great
Schism," historians now argue that the separation between East and West
was an ongoing process that began way before this year and lasted long
8. The "Black Death" moved through Europe between _____ and _____.
9. In ______, the Fourth Lateran Council, convened by Pope Innocent
III, revised the theology of the Eucharist to follow more closely with the
philosophy of Aristotle. The same council also put a momentary ban on new
monastic rules, advising new orders to adopt older customs.
10. In ______, Constantinople was captured by the Turks. More
importantly, however, this is also the year after Gutenberg invented
movable type, thereby allowing for the wide-spread circulation of